Search This Blog

TEST

test

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Gap Year Opportunity in Health

 

My name is Angelica, and I am a member of the National Health Corps Florida AmeriCorps Program. I am emailing you regarding student interest in a gap year opportunity that focuses on health. I saw you are the Pre-Health Advising Office for the Department of Pre-Health. We believe your students would benefit from this valuable opportunity and would be interested in gaining more experience in healthcare. The National Health Corps is a nationwide service program devoted to fostering healthy communities by delivering health and wellness education, resources, and services to vulnerable and underserved communities. While serving the Northeast Florida community, members also have opportunities for professional development and real-world experience. Host sites are non-profits, including medical and dental clinics, pharmacies, public health organizations, and youth development programs. Members commit to 1700 hours of direct service over a 46-week period and receive a living stipend during the term of service. Following successful completion of the service term, members will receive an education award that can be used for loans and future education. 

 

During my time with the National Health Corps, I have gained deep and valuable experience about service, healthcare, and culturally competent communication by assisting homeless, low-income, and uninsured patients. With my guidance, these patients apply for my host site medical clinic's sliding fee. I have also gained insight into how social factors impact health, since I often also assist patients with accessing resources like a new photo ID, a mailing address, and a housing entry program; I also refer patients to fellow NHC members and colleagues who can assist them with services like SNAP benefits. Outside of my service, I have also been able to gain professional development experience through monthly member trainings, online webinars, and shadowing dentists at my host site's dental clinic. Since I started with the program, I have received support from like-minded peers and my supervisors. I believe your students would benefit from this program as well.

 

We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and new positions are posted in the spring. While open to all majors and backgrounds, this program is particularly suited to individuals who are interested in a career in healthcare, and health-related fields, and are looking to gain service experience.

 

Attached you will find informational flyers for future members. Please let us know if you will be informing your students about the National Health Corps Florida AmeriCorps program. If any of them have additional questions, please have them reach out to us at nhcflrecruitmentcommittee@gmail.com

 

We would be happy to answer any of your questions and discuss this program further with you. We look forward to hearing from you!

 

Thank You,



Angelica





 


 

--

Angelica Lagasca

Medical Eligibility Coordinator 

Sulzbacher Medical Clinic

611 E. Adams St

Jacksonville, FL 32202

National Health Corps Florida of Americorps

email: angelica.m.lagasca@gmail.com

phone: (904)-599-3634














 

No comments:

Post a Comment