Search This Blog

TEST

test

Thursday, August 10, 2017

veterinary school personal statement


            My interest in veterinary medicine began while at a therapeutic stable that served physically and mentally handicapped children and young adults. I was partnered with a faithful old horse named Rocky and a young boy who had severe learning disabilities that made it difficult for him to understand social ques. It was with Rocky that this young boy became confident enough to talk with volunteers and his care takers. I witnessed firsthand how animals can help people physically and emotionally and how with an animal personal growth is possible. I want to become a veterinarian in order to help animals like Rocky so more people can benefit from their unfailing love and patience. Since high school, I have volunteered and worked at a therapeutic barn, shadowed veterinarians during my breaks in college, assisted with Nutrition studies of large animals, and worked at the Oncology service of the University of Florida’s Veterinary Hospital.

            At the therapeutic barn, my responsibilities consisted of feeding and taking care of the herd while also organizing volunteers. I was also responsible in calling and helping the veterinarian when emergencies occurred. It was then that I was able to assist with colic cases and lacerations. It was interesting to see the veterinary practice from the viewpoint of a business and how to communicate with the board of trustees as well as the veterinarian in order to get the animal back to his usual self. I was also responsible of keeping basic injuries from getting infected and bandaging them up. It was here that I really became interested in becoming a veterinarian which helped me into college.

            I also shadowed countless amounts of veterinarians throughout the last few years. Some of these veterinarians were at Springhill Veterinary Hospital and it was here that I began to show an interest in dentistry of large animals. I always knew that a horse’s mouth is essential to the health of an animal, but until then I had never known much about floating teeth and what that procedure looked like. I was also able to see firsthand what the everyday tasks are of a veterinarian and what a typical workday looks like. I thoroughly enjoyed traveling and meeting different people and seeing how different people train and interact with their farm animals.

            At the University of Florida, I was able to start volunteering at the Dermatology service and then eventually was hired as a Veterinary Technician Assistant in the Oncology service. So far this has been the most exciting of my experiences. I have been able to learn about a touchy subject like cancer with some of the greatest people and understand the treatment plans and their limitations. It has been a highlight to see how doctors are able to communicate with hurting clients and how animals who seemed to have no chance of survival have surpassed the odds. Since working here it has been clear that there is no other industry that I’d rather be in. The fast-paced world of the hospital has only encouraged me to understand and ask questions throughout my days at the university.

            Beyond shadowing and working alongside veterinarians, I have also gained experience in research. I was fortunate enough to help with analyzing the digestibility of different types of hay in horses. This was particularly interesting because it became clear that nutrition and good health are essential. I enjoyed taking basic laboratory practices I have learned throughout my undergraduate degree and finding a practical use for them. It was also eye opening to find out how much data and information that can be derived from the feces of an animal. During this time, I was also able to join the Exotic Animal Club where I was introduced to a vast array of careers under the veterinary medicine industry. These two opportunities as well as my past work experiences have helped me shape my career goals into one of veterinary medicine research. I want to not only be a brilliant veterinarian, but I want to be able to simplify or increase the knowledge base for medical procedures and diagnosis. I know I have a long way to go before I get to make discoveries, but becoming a veterinarian would assist me in reaching my goals.

            Veterinary medicine has become my life and my passion. I see how animals effect the world and I want to ensure that they are as safe and comfortable in order to keep helping people around them. It is with this mindset that I have pushed myself to be the best I can be and has caused me to grow academically as well as personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment